Friday, April 10, 2009

Bryce Canyon



After exploring Willis Creek yesterday I drove on towards Bryce Canyon and stayed in a nice motel a few miles west of the park. I shot the sunset from the Bryce Point overlook, which is a short distance into the park and is one of the main overlooks. The sunset was amazing, and a little cold. There was a stiff west wind blowing and I got pretty chilled standing on the canyon rim in the wind.


I drove the few miles from the motel back to Bryce this morning, this time choosing to shoot from the Fairyland Canyon viewpoint. I like the Fairyland area because most people miss it, as it is actually before the park entrance station. The view, however, is no less stunning than the other, more "popular" views in the park.


I didn't spend much time at Bryce on this trip, as I've been there a few times before and my main focus this time was to catch one sunset and one sunrise at the park. I didn't really do any hiking this time, although the trails at Bryce are wonderful. If you ever visit this park, the Navajo Trail is my favorite. You descend down into the canyon and once at the bottom the canyon walls are quite high and there are pine trees growing within the canyon. Its awe-inspiring to be down on the canyon floor and looking up at the sky beneath one of those pines.

No comments: