Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Capitol Reef



Today's journeys were in and around Capitol Reef National Park. The Waterpocket Fold defines Capitol Reef National Park. The fold is a nearly 100-mile long wrinkle in the earth's crust known as a monocline. Capitol Reef National Park was established to protect this grand and colorful geologic feature, as well as the unique natural and cultural history found in the area. The park also encompasses the Fremont River and the Fruita settlement, a Mormon settlement which includes some beautiful orchards (when they are in season, which at this time they are not).



Driving or hiking around the Capitol Reef area, you are constantly in a state of awe. The rock formations are so incredible, and of amazing variety. You might think that you would get tired of looking at rocks and dirt all the time, but you really don't because all of it is so pretty. I was reading in my guide book about a place within the park known as Cathedral Valley, which I thought sounded pretty cool and the pictures in the book made me want to check it out. The "easiest" way to get to Cathedral Valley from where I was (according to the book) was to drive east out of the park to the Caineville Wash Road.



The Caineville Wash Road starts out, as its name implies, in the middle of a huge dry wash and the road actually takes you right up the wash... obviously this is not a place to be if rain is in the forecast! After a couple of miles the road crosses the wash and starts to head into the hills. My book said that this road was rough, and it wasn't kidding! At best, I could only make about 5 mph. I drove about 8 miles in and gave up. According to my book I had at least another 10 miles to go. I really didn't feel like driving another 10 miles on that road. That first 8 miles offered up some awesome scenery, though!



It was also VERY windy today... and many times I was caught in some mini dust storms. I had to be very careful changing lenses on my camera today so no dust would get inside the camera. Even exercising caution, some dust still made it in there and I had a heck of a time cleaning the sensor when I got to the motel. It was also quite warm today... not sure what it actually was but it felt like it was about 75 degrees. So, naturally, I wanted to drive around with the window down. The inside of my car is pretty dusty now! There were many times when I stopped to roll the window up because of a big gust of wind. Whenever there was a big gust, a bunch of what I thought was dust blew in and settled on the dash. When I went to wipe it off, it wasn't dust but rather actual grains of sand! I've never been in a desert area when its been that windy before, and the grains of sand blowing into the car were a new thing for me.



After leaving the Caineville Wash Road I headed back into the main part of the park, which follows along the Fremont River. This is a very beautiful and lush part of the park, kind of a desert oasis, if you will. Of course, none of the trees were blooming yet, but it was still pretty. I can only imagine how beautiful it is in the summer when the trees are green. Capitol Reef is more remote than a lot of the parks out west, but it is definitely worth a visit! I could easily spend a few days here, but I have lots other places I want to see as well, so I hit the road again in the late afternoon.

No comments: