Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Devil's Garden



Once I left Capitol Reef, I was planning on making it to Bryce Canyon for sunset... but once again my plans changed! Once I realized that my route would be bringing me right by Hole in the Rock Road, I knew I had to change my plan for sunset. Hole in the Rock Road is a 62 mile one-way dirt road that ends on the north side of Lake Powell. About 12 miles down this road, there is a wonderful little natural attraction known as the Devil's Garden.



There are some spectacular rock formations at the Devil's Garden, and since I had been there before I knew that it might make for some nice sunset shooting. Since there had been nice clouds all day, I also thought that the sunset might be quite nice if some of the clouds hung around long enough to be lit up by the setting sun. I arrived at the Devil's Garden a little later than I would have liked, but to make up for it I stayed until almost 10:00 pm and made some exposures in the moonlight and of the star trails. The moonrise was sublime!



After I was done shooting, I started back towards the car. Even though I had my headlamp, I didn't use it because the moonlight was bright enough to light the way. About halfway back to the car I came around a tree and almost walked smack into a large black cow! I'm sure that he was a lot smaller than he actually looked, but in the moonlight he looked positively huge! He looked at me for a moment, then went back to munching on the shrubs. By the time I got back to the car my heart rate had finally returned to normal :-)

No comments: