Saturday, July 18, 2020

The Spark of Imagination


















"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." -Carl Sagan

I thought this quote from the late astronomer Carl Sagan was fitting for this photograph. To me, comets spark the imagination and make me ponder what other wonders are out there yet to be discovered. 

There is much we have learned but also much that we don't know. To also quote everyone's favorite astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, "We celebrate not knowing". I can relate to that, because the unknown is what often sparks the imagination. The unknown is something that sparks curiosity and the desire to "hack our way through the brush and bramble to the frontier... that boundary between what is known and unknown in the universe. And when you stand there, and look out into the abyss... you can't fear that. It has to attract you.  And so, we celebrate not knowing." 

With my photography, and my night photography in particular, I try to convey this sense of wonder and curiosity and also try to spark the imagination. Whether or not I've succeeded, I suppose, depends upon the individual viewer. I know it works for me.  Whenever I see a cool night photograph from another photographer, it sparks my own imagination and makes me want to spend even more time out under the stars, staring out into the vast unknown. 

No comments: