Friday, July 17, 2020

NEOWISE in the moonlight


















Last night was AWESOME!  I decided to head into Grand Portage State Forest to try and photograph Comet NEOWISE over one of my favorite lakes.  As I was making the drive to the lake I wasn't too hopeful I would have a successful night because throughout the entire drive I could see flashes of lightning ahead. The forecast was for mostly clear skies so the storms were unexpected.  

When I arrived at the lake it was raining and heavily overcast.  After just a few minutes though the storm passed, exposing the stars and the comet. A little while later another storm passed through, followed again by a few minutes of nice, clear sky. This cycle occurred about 4 or 5 times throughout the night. Between each storm the stars and comet would reveal themselves for a short while until the next storm arrived. At about 2:00 AM, when this photograph was made, the crescent moon was rising and provided some nice lighting onto the trees in the scene. 

No comments: