Monday, January 14, 2019

Strike Valley Sunset, Capitol Reef National Park


















The last sunset that I photographed on my southwest trip was easily one of the most beautiful.  I was driving from Escalante to Moab via the backroads and I had planned it out so that I would (hopefully) be at the Strike Valley Overlook in Capitol Reef National Park in time for sunset.  Thankfully, my planning worked out and I was able to get there about 45 minutes before the sun lit up the sky the way you see it here.  

I would have gotten there earlier but I was not fully informed on just how rough the "road" was up the canyon to get to this spot (thankfully I have a Jeep!).  It's really not a road at all, you are basically driving right up the wash to get to the trailhead.  It is a legal route to drive, however, as I was instructed I could do so by the park rangers. From the trailhead it's a relatively short (about a half-mile) hike to get to the Strike Valley Overlook.  The view is tremendous.  Even if the clouds hadn't lit up the way they did I would have been completely satisfied with the view.  But, as you can see, mother nature put on quite a display.  

The elements were really on my side throughout this entire trip.  As with so many other moments, as I sat here watching the sunset show it was so incredibly quiet it felt like I could have heard a pin drop anywhere in the valley.  I am definitely coming back to this location, as there is another hiking route from the same trailhead that I'd like to do.  It's about a 9 to 10 mile loop and I'm told it passes by several arches and other interesting natural features.  I can't wait to return :-)  

No comments: