Thursday, January 3, 2019

Photographing the Eureka Dunes

















After a little hiatus from sunny southwest pictures, I'm back to my trip.  We had a big snowstorm here in northeast Minnesota and I was out taking pictures of all the beautiful snow after the storm.  But I still have photos from my trip I need to go through!  When I left off several days ago, I had just arrived at the Eureka Dunes in Death Valley National Park.  I got to the dunes about an hour before sunset, spent a little time wandering around the base of the dunes at sunset and dusk then crawled into my sleeping bag early so I could get a good night's sleep and an early start climbing the dunes in the morning.  

I woke about an hour before sunrise and started walking toward the dunes in the dark.  Before long I was making my way uphill.  I quickly realized that this was going to be even more difficult than hiking to the top of the Kelso Dunes in Mojave Preserve.  The reason for that was the dunes were much steeper and the sand was much softer.  It took me longer than I expected to reach the top but it was oh so worth it.  I made photographs along the way up and along the way down.  Just like the Kelso Dunes, I was finding interesting compositions everywhere I looked. And, just like many other locations on this trip, I wanted to spend much more time here.  The lower dunes to the west looked massively interesting but I didn't have enough time to hike over to them.  Something to save for my next trip :-)  


































































No comments: