Friday, January 11, 2019

Lake Powell Moonlight at Hole in the Rock


















After I left Death Valley I pretty much hightailed it to Utah as the end of my vacation time was kind of sneaking up on me.  I spend one night in the small town of Escalante and enjoyed a delicious pizza from Escalante Outfitters.  The next day I explored Hell's Backbone Road before heading down Hole in the Rock Road.  Hell's Backbone was an amazing drive with pretty high elevation and amazing views.  

I've spent quite a bit of time along Hole in the Rock Road in the past, exploring some of the slot canyon and arch hikes that are in the area.  But I'd never been to the actual "Hole in the Rock" at the end of the road.  There isn't actually a "hole" in the rock, but there is a large slot that was blasted into the cliff by Mormon pioneers, who then lowered their wagons down the slot to cross the Colorado River.  The last 5 miles or so of the road are pretty rough so I was glad to have the Jeep here.  I spent the night at Hole in the Rock, overlooking Lake Powell.  The moonlight that night was amazing, really lighting up the landscape.  

No comments: