Wednesday, January 25, 2017

"Flash" Back - Harbor Storm


















Today I'm thinking back to August 28, 2015.  A night when an incredible series of thunderstorms rolled across northeast Minnesota.  The storms made for an incredible lightning show over the harbor in Grand Marais.  I had checked the weather and saw an alert for a "Severe Thunderstorm" warning.  Grand Marais has one of the few places in the county where you can safely photograph the lightning from under a large covered picnic shelter, so I decided to drive to town to try and catch the storms.  

As I was driving south along Highway 61 the storms hit and the rate of rainfall was amazing.  I had to slow down to 30 miles per hour at times because the rain was hitting the road so hard it was difficult to tell where the lines on the road were.  I was a little worried that I was going to miss the lightning in Grand Marais, but thankfully the storms lasted for several hours and I was able to get quite a few good shots from the safety of the picnic shelter.  

No comments: