Friday, December 18, 2015

Lake Reflections

















Finding time for photography this time of year is difficult for me.  The daylight hours are at their shortest and most of that time is spent at my day job, making it hard to get out and make new photographs.  I'm not complaining, as we just returned from an awesome trip out west where I did a lot of photography in and around Yellowstone National Park.  I'm just letting you know that is why you might see an "old" photo from me now and then.  

As I look back on some images from earlier that I never worked on, I may find one now and then that I want to share.  Such as this abstract image of Little Lake, made before the onset of winter.  It's a type of abstract image that is fun to make.  You use a slow shutter speed combined with a panning motion of the camera (in this case, panning upwards).  The subject here is the surface of Little Lake in Grand Portage and the reflections of the trees on the water.  The combination of the panning motion and the slow shutter speed "stretches out" the reflections of the trees.  The results of this technique are always interesting!

No comments: