Sunday, November 8, 2015

Foggy Night under the Milky Way

























Last week we had a lot of rainy weather and a lot of fog, which made for some pretty cool photo opportunities!  Especially after dark one evening when our neighbor's yard light was shining through the trees and fog.  I went out to make some photographs of the rays of light coming through the trees and while I was shooting the scene the fog started to clear out.  As the fog was dissipating I could see the stars appearing through the haze.  It only took about 5 minutes for the fog to completely burn off, so I had to work quickly in order to capture a good exposure that was as balanced as possible between the bright light on the bottom half of the photo and the dark sky above.  Using the graduated ND filter in Lightroom and the adjustment brush I was able to balance the exposure even more between the bottom and top of the photo, and bring out the brightness and detail of the stars a bit more.  I really like the end result, it's unlike anything I've ever captured before with a camera.  Definitely one of the most unique night sky photos I've captured!

No comments: