Friday, July 31, 2015

July Blue Moon or "Why I love the D750"

















I just got in from 3 hours of photographing the sunset and the rising moon.  What a beautiful night!  I'm sure by now that everyone has heard today is the "blue moon", or the second full moon of the month.  Technically the full moon occurred at 5:42 this morning, but tonight it still looks full to the naked eye.  

This photo is edited a little more heavily than I typically like to do with my photos, but I wanted to play around with this shot and see just how well I could push the capabilities of the sensor in the Nikon D750.  This camera is simply amazing.  The amount of detail that remains in the shadows is astonishing.  As long as you can shoot at a reasonably low ISO, you can pull incredible amounts of detail from the shadows.  With my old Canon 5D Mark II there's no way I could have processed this photo the same way.  Well, I could have, but the results would have been messy.  Lightening the photo as much as I did would have turned it into a noisy/grainy mess.  

So, just for fun, I've included the edited shot and the unedited shot for comparison.  The photo was processed in Adobe Lightroom CC.  I photographed the moon with my Tamron 150-600mm lens at 600mm.  I cropped the photo to make the moon larger, then made some tweaks to the various sliders in Lightroom.  Here are my edits:

Exposure: +3.00
Highlights: -73
Shadows: +75
Whites: +15
Clarity: +30
Vibrance: +25
Sharpening: 75
Noise Reduction - Luminance: 25

I also adjusted the white balance temp slider to 4,500 which is a little "cooler" than the result that auto white balance gave me.  The photo was made as the moon was not too far above the horizon, so it was still pretty orange from all the atmospheric interference.  There was also a thin layer of clouds which made a hazy effect around the moon.  Overall the edited image has a pretty surreal feel to it, but I do like it.  No fancy blending of multiple images here, just careful processing of a single RAW file from the Nikon D750, which I'm loving more and more each time I shoot with it :-)  

The unedited image is below:


No comments: