Saturday, July 25, 2015

A slightly surreal sunset over the Isle Royale Boats

















It was a bit of a surreal sunset last night!  Rarely do we see sunsets that light up the entire sky with color, but last night was one of those rare times when exactly that happens.  There were clouds all over in every direction of the sky and every one of them was lit up with some amazing color.  We were just getting ready to start watching a movie when I looked out our dining room window and noticed the sky colors getting really intense.  At first I walked around our yard snapping pictures of the clouds but I couldn't get enough of the sky in my shots to catch all the color.  So, I hopped in the car and drove over to Hat Point Marina where there is a more open view.  By the time I got over there the most intense color had faded but the afterglow was beautiful too.  That was when the surreal part kicked in.  The color tone had changed enough in the afterglow that I couldn't believe what I was seeing.  I've seen colors like this before but rarely so prominently throughout the sky.  I decided to frame a shot of the sunset with the ferries of the Grand Portage - Isle Royale Transportation Line in the foreground. 

The Grand Portage - Isle Royale Transportation Line provides passenger service from Grand Portage, MN to Isle Royale National Park in Michigan.  They run two ferries, the Sea Hunter III (pictured on the left) which runs day trips to Windigo, and the Voyageur II (on the right) which circles the entire island and makes stops at various points along the way.  The Voyageur II spends the night at Rock Harbor, making the round-trip of Isle Royale a two-day affair.  If you'd like to find out more information about making a trip to Isle Royale via one of these ferries, you can check out Grand Portage - Isle Royale Transportation Line's website at http://www.isleroyaleboats.com.

No comments: