Thursday, November 27, 2014

Eldred Rock Light

















As we traveled from Haines back down to Juneau via the Alaska Marine Highway we passed this beautiful lighthouse situated on a large rocky island in the middle of Lynn Canal.  I photographed the lighthouse from the deck of our ferry, the M/V Taku.  The lighthouse is the Eldred Rock Light, commissioned in 1906.  The lighthouse was automated by the United States Coast Guard in 1973 and the original lens was moved to a museum in Haines in 1978.  I loved the setting of the lighthouse with the rugged snow-covered mountains in the background.  The Alaska scenery sure is awesome!  

I wanted to include a bit more of both the water in the foreground and the sky above the mountain, but as I mentioned this was photographed from a moving ferry and I only had a moment to capture the lighthouse with this incredible mountain in the background.  I was at 150mm on my Tamron lens, the widest that lens will go.  Even though it doesn't have as much sky or water as I would have liked, I still really like this photo :-)

No comments: