Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Wading Moose

.


These images were taken on the Pigeon River in northeast Minnesota. The Pigeon River forms the border between northeast Minnesota and Ontario, Canada. I work at a state park that is right on the river, and during my shift at work I noticed there was this moose hanging around most of the afternoon on the river. After work that evening I brought my kayak out on the river and was able to get fairly close to this moose for several shots. This moose was actually suffering quite badly from brain worm, and as a result more often than not the moose was swimming in circles out in the middle of the river. Every once in a while she would get out on shore and walk around a little, but always she returned to the river and whenever she did she would end up swimming in circles. I notified the local wildlife biologist and told him I would check again in the morning to see if she was still around. The next morning before work I again brought my kayak out on the river but after searching upstream and down she was nowhere to be found, and hasn't been seen since. These images were shot from my kayak from about 40 feet away using my Canon EF 100-400mm lens.

No comments: