Thursday, April 1, 2010

Owachomo Bridge, Newspaper Rock, Goosenecks State Park



Staying in Blanding, Utah tonight. After a day filled with sunshine, spotty rain, occasional snow showers, and some pretty good dust storms (not to mention some REALLY cool clouds throughout the day), I caught a nice sunset over Owachomo Bridge at Natural Bridges National Monument. Was hoping to photograph some stars over the same bridge, but it was too cloudy.



Some other highlights from today: Stopped by Newspaper Rock in Canyonlands National Park, an amazing rock which has probably the highest concentration of petroglyphs of any single rock in the Southwest. I also drove through some intense rain today, followed by some amazing skies as the storm broke up. As I drove North from Monument Valley I took a quick side trip to Goosenecks State Park to photograph the sky above the bends in the San Juan River.




2 comments:

kenev said...

Great photos as usual. Can you recommend a guide service for an Antelope Canyon tour; I see there are several available.

BTW, how do you feel about the Honda Element as a 'back-roads' vehicle; is the clearance a problem as you drive the rutted surface of old Hwy 61 or the forest service roads back to Mt. Sophie? I have a Toyota 4-Runner, but am considering a newer vehicle. Ken

Travis Novitsky said...

Hi Ken,

I am not familiar with any of the guide services, as I did not use them. I spoke with a couple of the guides, but did not use their services. I paid for the "photo pass", which costs more but allows you to travel through the canyon at your own pace (without a guide) and stop and take as many photos as you want.

The Honda Element is a very good backroads vehicle, there have been only a few times where clearance has been a problem for me. I am able to make it nearly to the top of Mt. Sophie, and have only scraped bottom on occasion along that road. Old Hwy 61 is no problem at all for it, neither is Partridge Falls Road, an old logging road which I frequently travel on. If you want to get an Element, don't wait too long as Honda recently announced that 2011 will be the last model year that the Element will be produced.

-Travis