Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Remembering the Fitzgerald



Every year on November 10 at Split Rock Lighthouse State Park the light is lit as a memorial to the crew of the Edmund Fitzgerald. The Fitzgerald was an ore freighter that sank in Lake Superior near Whitefish Bay during an intense storm on November 10, 1975. All 29 hands on board were lost. While a part of me has always wanted to visit Split Rock during the memorial lighting, I never saw it until this year. While I got there a little late due to a dentist appointment in Duluth (the lighthouse is lit at dusk, and I arrived about an hour and a half later), I did still get a chance to see the light sweeping across the lake, as they leave it on for a couple of hours after it is lit.

After watching the light for a while I met up with Jon Wood, a friend of mine (http://www.jonwoodphoto.com/) and together we decided to head up to Tettegouche State Park and try shooting some star trails over the rock arch that is on the Tettegouche shoreline of Lake Superior. Jon and I spent a couple of hours shooting a fantastic night sky over the arch. It was an incredible night to be out, there was no wind and the lake was as flat as a pancake. The image below is a 52 minute exposure of the stars over the arch.

No comments: