Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Badlands National Park - The beginning of a 6 week journey.



(Above: Park entrance sign. You can see quite a few Bison (Buffalo) in the field behind the sign)

This is the first entry of many to come over the next 6 weeks as I explore some of the western United States. I am also expanding the reach of my blog a little bit, as the journal entries from this trip will be shared with the students of Oshki Ogimaag elementary school back in my home town of Grand Portage, Minnesota. I have lived in Grand Portage my entire life, and it certainly is one of the most beautiful places in this world. It is where I choose to live to this day. Outside of the bounds of our little reservation, however, there is a big wide world of wonders to explore. It is my hope that by viewing the images in my blog the students of Oshki Ogimaag gain a sense of wonder and curiosity about the world outside of the reservation. In many ways it is a very big world, which can be intimidating. But when you travel you realize that it is also a small world, and that we are indeed all connected in some way. I love exploring and seeing the beauty of other places while trying to capture some of that beauty with my camera. However, my heart always returns to my home on the shores of Lake Superior. Grand Portage is home, and while I am tempted sometimes by other beautiful places, my heart always longs to be back in Grand Portage. Its always a great comfort to return and see Grand Portage Bay and Pete's Island again.



This trip begins with a week spent in Badlands National Park and the Black Hills of South Dakota. This area is very close to the Pine Ridge and Rosebud Reservations, home to the Lakota Sioux people. My friend Roger and I spent the first week of my 6 week trip together in the Badlands and Black Hills. Our first two nights we camped under incredibly starry skies in Badlands National Park. It was a little cold at night, but we were plenty warm inside our sleeping bags. Each night we spent some time photographing the stars and the night sky, and during the day we looked for wildlife and other interesting things to photograph.



The Badlands is a very dry area which receives very little rainfall over the course of the year. In many ways it is a stark, desolate landscape but if you look a little closer you find many interesting things. Prairie Dog towns dot the landscape, and Bison, Sheep and Mule Deer can often be seen. Sunrises and sunsets can be incredible here!



(Below: Medicine wheel made out of stones outside of the Badlands National Park visitor center)



(Below: My friend Roger photographing the Badlands landscape at sunrise)



(Below: A couple of young sheep pose on the side of a hill)



(Below: Roger and his dog Thule taking in the awesome views of the Badlands)



(Below: There's a reason they want you to stay on the boardwalk here!)



(Below: Roger takes a break from shooting to enjoy the sunset)



(Below: Moon at sunset)





(Above and below: Some night scenes from the Badlands. The above left image is a 25 minute exposure taken near the Sage Creek campground. The above right image is a 30 second exposure, during which I used my headlamp to shine some light onto the tree. In the image below, the moon was behind the tree providing some nice backlight, and the lights in the lower right are from the town of Rapid City)

4 comments:

Ralph Nordstrom said...

Travis, I'm glad you'll be sharing not only your photographs but your impressions of your trip. I'm looking forward to following along. Hopefully you'll make it to Southern California and we can meet. If you'd like to photograh Joshua Tree National Park I can arrange that.

You mentioned the medicine wheel. Are you familiar with the Medecine Wheel in the Big Horn Mountains? We visited it several years ago and it feels very sacred.

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing these photos of your trip. Have a great time.

Unknown said...

Travis! Your mom sent me to your blog. I'm loving it! Your opening remarks are especially poignant considering the bit I'm about to share: Our oldest daughter, Sadie, is currently attending Wyoming Catholic College in Lander, WY (you should visit if you have a chance--beautiful--and I, too, have Grand Portage Bay and Pete's Island as reference points). She spent Thanksgiving weekend with friends in Billings, MT. On Saturday, the 28th, they visited Custer's Battlefield and as she signed the guestbook she perused the previous day's signers. Who should she see but 'Travis Novitsky, Grand Portage, MN'! She was amazed at the 'smallness of the world'. Indeed we are never far from one another or from home. Enjoy your journey. I will be checking in and enjoying your beautiful photography. Lisa Cassellius

Travis Novitsky said...

Hi Ralph - I appreciate the offer to meet... not sure if I will be making it that far down in California. I had really only planned on going about as far south as San Francisco, but you never know. If I do make it down your way I'll let you know. And no, I have not heard of the medicine wheel in the Bighorn Mountains... I'll have to look it up.

Lisa - How cool is that! And what a great way to illustrate what I was talking about! Thanks for commenting and for sharing the story with me. Hope all is well.

-Travis