Monday, September 21, 2009

Entering Yellowstone



Well, I left work yesterday afternoon at about 2:30, and a little over 24 hours later (including nap times at rest areas along the way), I found myself entering Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming via the northeast entrance. I was invited by my photographer friend Jake from the Twin Cities to partake in this fall trip to Yellowstone and the Tetons. Also joining the journey was our friend Stuart from Maryland. Jake and Stuart left on Saturday right from the Minneapolis airport after Stuart's flight arrived. Our plan was to meet up in Canyon Village in Yellowstone, where we would be staying Monday night.



It turns out that I timed my driving just right to be entering Yellowstone in the early evening. I had beautiful weather for the drive over Beartooth Pass (almost 11,000 feet), and when I came down the other side of the pass I was treated to some nice fall Aspen color along the roadway. I found a nice spot where I could pull over and take a short walk, and was able to frame the trees with the mountains in the background. After shooting the golden Aspens I continued driving and was soon passing through the small town of Cooke City, Montana which is right on the edge of Yellowstone. As I left Cooke City I passed this nice mountain just as the peak was catching the last bit of sunlight of the day. I had just enough time to compose the shot above before the light was gone.



From a previous visit to Yellowstone in 2006, I knew that there was a spot on the Lamar River that was a great spot for sunset... although as I left Cooke City I was doubting whether or not I would get there in time. As it turns out, I arrived at the river just in time to shoot my favorite light, which is the dusk light that occurs shortly after the sun has set.


After about 20 minutes of shooting on the Lamar River the best of the light was gone, and it was time to drive the last few miles to Canyon Village. Along the way, I ran into a couple of "Bison Roadblocks", as seen in the image below.

No comments: