Wednesday, August 26, 2009

North and South Fowl Lakes



For quite a while now I've known about a road that goes to a boat access on North Fowl Lake on the Canadian side of the lake, but never knew just how to get there. Yesterday I spent the afternoon in Thunder Bay and on my way home I took some time to drive the logging roads and try to find the route to North Fowl Lake. It was actually fairly easy to find (of course, I had a GPS with me so I knew how far away from the river I was. This made it easier to find the route, even though the GPS didn't show any of the roads that I was on). I arrived at the North Fowl shoreline just in time to make the sunset image seen above. As I watched the sun go down I could hear several loons calling from across the lake. Loons are always a treat to hear, but their call is so much more magical when accompanied by a beautiful sunset.



(Above: The sand spit that separates North Fowl from South Fowl)

Now that I knew how to access these two lakes by road, I couldn't wait to get my kayak out on them. So, the next day I crossed the border back into Canada with my kayak and headed back to the boat landing on North Fowl. I spent the whole afternoon and early evening paddling on the lakes, wandering my way around, exploring the shoreline and the many wild rice beds that occupy the lakes. By the time I made it back to the landing I had been on the lakes for about 5 hours and covered over 10 miles. It sure was a great day!



(Above: Launching into the surf on South Fowl Lake)



(Above: "Goose Rock", South Fowl Lake)



(Above and below: I recently purchased a Canon G10 camera and an Aquapac underwater bag for it, with the intention of using it as my primary camera when I am out in the kayak. I also have several ideas for underwater images... one of them being the image below, which is an underwater view of wild rice on North Fowl Lake)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

What route did you take to get onto north fowl? I am wondering if you would share your route with me? thank you so much. Beautiful pictures by the way.

Travis Novitsky said...

Hi Garrett, I drove to the boat landing on the Canadian side of North Fowl Lake. There isn't an easy way to describe the route there, as the gravel roads are not very well marked beyond Devon Township Road 2. But, from Highway 61 near the U.S./Canada border, turn West on Highway 593. Drive until you reach the intersection of Devon Road and Border Rd. Take a right on Devon Road. Follow this until you come to Devon Township Road 2 (if I'm remembering this name correctly). Google Maps has this road labeled "Pit Road". Turn left onto this road. From here on the route is on gravel roads and the closer you get to North Fowl Lake, the rougher the road gets. It gets pretty bad the last mile or so into the lake. A high-clearance vehicle is recommended to travel this last part of the road. After turning onto Devon Township Road 2 (or Pit Road), there will be a couple more forks in the road. There should be some home-made signs nailed to a tree at these junctures which say simply "Lake". Follow those signs (assuming they are still there). Eventually as the road gets rougher you will see an Ontario Parks sign saying that you are entering La Verendrye Provincial Park. Not long after seeing that sign (probably less than 1/2 mile) you will arrive at the North Fowl Lake boat landing.

Unknown said...

I've been trying to find a description of this route forever. Two questions. One, could you pull a fishing boat on a trailer down these roads if you took it slow. The satellite map on google maps shows a fishing boat at the landing. Two, do you know if there are any outfitters or lodges that service this lake. There used to be a resort called Ron's Lodge but they appear to be out of business. Wondering if someone else is now operating on the lake. I've been dying to visit but want to come through Canada by car and until now couldn't find any info. Thanks!!

Unknown said...

I've been looking for a description of this route forever. I badly want to visit this lake but would prefer to do it by car through Canada. Two questions. 1. could a jeep or blazer make it down these roads pulling a small fishing boat on a trailer? 2, do you know if there are any outfitters, or a lodge operating on the lake. There used to be Ron's Lodge but seems to have gone out of business. Wondering if anyone is operating on the lake.

Thanks!

Travis Novitsky said...

Hi Bridget, I think you could pull a small boat there, yes. The last half-mile or so going into the lake is VERY rough, I think you could do it you would just have to crawl through it. As far as I know there aren't any lodges or anything operating on the lake. I've heard of a resort on North Fowl before (must be the one you mentioned), but the last I heard it was for sale and don't know if anyone has bought it yet.

-Travis

newcodelogic said...

Hey there here is a funny question and its from a local too, lol consider you made it to the lake, i am confused of what fork you took as i am thinking of riding my fat bike in there from Devon road

looking at google maps, there is a section and forks but not sure which one to take, so entering Pit Road off Devon Road. I am going to go west and then North West Pit Road, past the fork with Arrow River

ok now following google maps,
it takes to another fork

One is labeled trail
other is Label Fowl Lake RD N

Which one would i take?
Fowl Lake RD N?

if i took the Fowl Lake RD N
it now goes south
for less a KM
on google maps says Fowl Lake going SE
and another fork that branches direct west?
which one should i take?
the part that says Fowl Lake N road just keeps going south more less away from the lake,
suggestions?
where did you exactly turn off to get to the lake.
keep in mind i be riding my bike on this so i be able to handle the rougher roads
thanks for your help

Travis Novitsky said...

newcodelogic: to be honest, I'm not too familiar with the route anymore as the last time I was in there was back when this post was published in 2009. At the time I had a Honda Element and drove that in to North Fowl Lake. I basically just drove all the different logging roads until I found the correct route to the lake. If I remember correctly there signs at the different junctions, nailed to a tree. The signs simply said "Lake" with an arrow pointing to which fork in the road to take. I have no idea if those signs are still there, or if the route is even the same. I'm sure there have been new logging roads that have been put in since then. After all, its been 8 years since I was there via that route :-)