Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Taming the Dragon


















One of the first images I made upon my arrival in Borrego Springs, California on November 4, 2018 after 3 days of driving.  Also one of the main reasons I made this trip to the desert.  I timed it so that I would arrive as new moon was approaching, that way I would have nice dark skies filled with lots of stars.  

Borrego Springs is a small town in the desert just a couple of hours east of San Diego.  The area is known for the intriguing sculptures by artist Ricardo Breceda.  Over 130 of them dot the landscape around town and capture the imagination.  

I visited the area in April 2017 but did not have the opportunity to photograph the sculptures after dark.  As I explored them in the daytime all I could think was how cool it would be to photograph them under the night sky.  So, a year and a half later, I made my wish come true and went back to Borrego Springs.  For 3 nights I photographed the sculptures under the glorious night sky of the desert southwest :-)  

No comments: