Friday, March 23, 2018

Milky Way over Temperance River


















I have to admit I had never thought of photographing the Milky Way from this location before until I saw a fellow photographer post an image from here.  So, I am using his photo as inspiration for my own (I never like to say we are "copying" one another, because we aren't... we get inspiration from others and then go and try to make our own interpretation of a similar scene).  I was amazed to see how perfectly the Milky Way lines up with the mouth of the river and I love how the angle complements the angle of the tree line along the left side of the photo.  

I also had to exercise some patience in this situation.  When I arrived on location (about 4:00 in the morning) the Milky Way was not yet visible as you see it here.  It was still below the tree line.  I decided to go down and check out the shoreline to the West of the river's mouth.  I was glad I did, because for the next hour and a half I had a lot of fun making a series of images showing the Milky Way more openly over Lake Superior (see my previous posts).  When I walked back up to this original planned spot at 5:30 AM, there was the Milky Way, right where I had hoped it would be.  This was a 25 second exposure at f/2.8 and an ISO of 6400.  Shot with a Nikon D750 camera and Nikon 14-24mm lens set at 14mm. 

No comments: