Monday, October 30, 2017

Winter Wonderland (In October!)


















I'm still a little bit in disbelief at how much snow we received so early this year.  In all my years of living in northeast Minnesota (which in another month will be 42) the earliest I can remember getting this much snow this early is the Halloween "mega-storm" of 1991.  And that was on Halloween... this year it was 4 days before Halloween!  

That year Duluth (150 miles south of where I live) got a dumping of about 36 inches of snow.  It started snowing on Halloween night and didn't stop for 4 days.  Here in Grand Portage we had maybe 6 inches, if I remember correctly.  This year on October 27th/28th Grand Portage received anywhere from 2 or 3 inches (on the Lake Superior shoreline) to as much as 8 to 12 inches (a few miles inland from Lake Superior).  

Most of the snow fell overnight between the 27th and 28th.  I spent the majority of the day on the 28th driving around up in the woods making photographs of the fresh winter beauty.  Speaking of which... it's still more than 50 days until winter officially arrives!  Kind of hard to believe...



















No comments: