Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Light Speed


















I'm working on a backlog of images today from this fall that I never got around to posting.  This photograph was made on the evening of September 29th.  I call it "Light Speed" because it reminds me of the movie Star Wars.  To make this photo I composed my shot to have the galactic center of the Milky Way running right through the middle of the frame.  

I had the camera in manual mode and the exposure set to 30 seconds with an aperture of f/2.8 and ISO of 6400.  I was using the Nikon 14-24 lens and for the first half of the exposure I left the lens at 14mm and for the second half I very slowly (and as smoothly as possible) zoomed the lens from 14mm to 24mm.  The first 15 seconds records the stars as points of light and the second 15 seconds as you zoom the lens records the stars as streaks of light.  It's a fun technique to play around with!

No comments: