Saturday, December 17, 2016

December Ice on Hollow Rock

















Before choosing a spot to stand to make this photo I watched the waves for a while to see how far up the beach they were coming.  I set up in what I thought was a safe spot and photographed the rock from that spot for almost 15 minutes.  Then a rogue wave came and splashed me pretty hard and got me wet from the waist down.  Luckily my snow pants kept me dry but after just a few seconds all the water that hit me was frozen to my pants, making them quite stiff.  Walking around after that was definitely a funny feeling.

I used a 6-stop ND filter and a 2-stop graduated ND filter to lessen the amount of light entering the camera, allowing me to use a much longer shutter speed than normal.  This ended up being a 30 second exposure which really softened the look of the waves, making the water appear much calmer than it actually was. 

No comments: