Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Summer Solstice Solar Storm

















The summer solstice solar storm arrives!  What an insane night!  For the first few hours of darkness, the sky was filled with some of the most incredible northern lights that I've ever seen in northeast Minnesota.  Space weather forecasts were originally calling for this storm to arrive the previous night and indeed there was a subtle amount of aurora activity but the main impact of the storm was yet to come.  Well, last night it arrived with a vengeance!  I left the house just as it was getting dark and had planned on driving about 20 miles inland to one of my favorite lakes.  However, as I drove down Highway 61 I could see the lights dancing in the southern sky over Lake Superior!  So, I changed my plan and stopped by Horseshoe Bay in Hovland.  There is a small island just off the shoreline in this location and it was the perfect place for my first shooting location of the evening.  

No comments: