Friday, January 23, 2015

Milky Way and Aurora Glow

















Another flashback to a night of Milky Way photography in August 2014.  I was scoping out some new locations for photographing the northern lights and the stars.  I hit the jackpot with this location that had been logged a few years ago.  The loggers left a really nice selective stand of mature trees that silhouette beautifully against the sky.  On this particular night I was focusing on making images of the stars with the trees, but as you can see in this photo the aurora made a very slight appearance.  There was the softest glow low above the northern horizon.  I couldn't even see it with my own eyes, but the camera was able to record it with a 30 second exposure and a high ISO setting of 6400.  I can't wait to make it back to this location when there is a raging geomagnetic storm!

No comments: