Saturday, December 27, 2014

Northern Hawk Owl on a blustery December day


























I hope everyone had a nice Christmas!  I'm back online after being gone for a couple of days spending time with family.  What a strange Christmas for northern Minnesota.  We've been experiencing some unusually warm weather for this time of year and what little snow we had along the Lake Superior shoreline has long since melted.  If you go inland you can find a winter wonderland but here along the shore everything is just brown.  The weather was so mild on Christmas day that I didn't even need long sleeves… I was walking around with a short sleeve shirt and a fleece vest.  This same time last year we had temperatures well below zero.  

Anyway, enough talk about the weather!  Here is a recent image of a Northern Hawk Owl that has been hanging around near the Grand Portage Trading Post the past few weeks.  I've seen this little owl on several occasions but because of the rainy weather and gray cloudy days that we've had for most of the month I've yet to see this beautiful bird in any kind of decent lighting conditions.  Even though this was taken on a less than ideal day, I still like the shot and think it turned out pretty well considering the flat light.  

No comments: