Friday, September 5, 2014

Biking the Minnesota Northwoods

















Last night we went for a bike ride under one of the prime maple canopies of northeast Minnesota.  This is arguably my favorite Cook County backroad to ride.  It has a very nice mix of rolling terrain which really makes for a fun ride.  In a few more weeks this route will be bursting with the glorious colors of autumn, making it even more fun to fly down on a mountain bike!  

I've been experimenting this week with a Sony RX100 "pocket" camera, and I have to say I am very impressed with the features and image quality of this small camera.  This photo was taken in very poor light (about an hour before sunset on a VERY cloudy evening under a dark canopy of trees).  This particular shot was at ISO 200 with an aperture of f/1.8 and a shutter speed of 1/25 since I was going for the motion blur effect.  However, I also shot several images at ISO 1600 and even 3200 and I was blown away by the results.  I never could have made this shot with my old Canon G11 camera, which is what I used to carry on such outings.  Sadly, the G11 is dead and I am looking for a replacement.  Could it be the RX100?  So far, I have been impressed by this performance-rich little camera!  

No comments: