Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Ancient Earth

















Here is an image of the Milky Way Galaxy from the night of July 27, 2014.  We had clear skies for the first part of that night so I decided to head out and try a new location for some Milky Way shooting.  The location ended up being great, but the conditions were less than ideal.  The mosquitoes were about the worst I've ever experienced!  There must have been millions of them and they were swarming everywhere.  For the first hour of my shooting they just would not leave me alone.  Then, at about 12:30 AM, they just kind of disappeared.  I don't know where they went or what happened to them, but they were just... gone.  Anyway, this image was made at 11:40 PM, during the height of the mosquito swarms.  I decided to call this image "Ancient Earth", because with the Milky Way we are literally looking back in time since we are looking at light that has already burned before it reaches our eyes.  That thought, in my mind, combined with the old-growth pine trees sort of brings these connections of age and time together.   

No comments: