Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Loon on Elbow Lake

















Here is a shot of the loon that we saw during our kayak outing on Elbow Lake.  We were paddling very close to shore and almost ran into this loon as it was not moving at all.  All of a sudden I looked ahead (I had been looking directly at the shoreline as I paddled) and there was the loon, floating not more than 50 feet in front of me.  I stopped paddling and pulled out my camera, snapping pictures as I drifted by.  I got to within 20 feet of him/her as my momentum carried me past.  After drifting by the loon we turned around and slowly paddled back.  The loon stayed where it was for a minute or two, then slowly swam down the shore a short distance before swimming out towards the center of the lake. Encounters with loons are always very special.  I treasure the moments when I am able to see these beautiful birds up close!

No comments: