Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Spring Flow, Glen Avon Falls

















Yesterday I went down the shore to photograph some of the rivers at their spring flow.  The rivers have really opened up over the weekend and boy was it ever cool to see them flowing at such high capacity. There was water everywhere along Highway 61 as I drove south.  The ditches were full of water and temporary waterfalls were everywhere along the highway rock cuts.  The rivers were bursting at their seams with water.  Some of the larger rivers still had chunks of ice that were floating downstream.  The photo you see here is of a waterfall on the Beaver River.  It is a location that I visited for the first time last year, but I was there when the water was low.  At that time I thought it would be cool to come back when the water was high, and I was right!  This spot was amazing, I love how it doesn't even really look like a river, it looks like the water is just running straight down through the forest.  It was 71 degrees here when I made this shot, and just a few miles away where the river empties into Lake Superior, the temperature was only 43 degrees!  I guess spring and "cooler by the lake" is now officially here :-)


No comments: