Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Abstract Ice

















So far in this early winter season we have not had cold enough temperatures for much ice to form, at least not for very long.  A recent warm spell combined with rain quickly did away with what little ice and snow we had along the Lake Superior shoreline.  So, I'm digging through my archives looking for ice shots, since I have "ice on the brain".  This one is a shot of a small Lake Superior wave pool along the Hollow Rock shoreline, taken in January of 2007.  It is one of the coolest patterns of ice that I've ever seen.  The true scale (in terms of surface area) of this ice was roughly two feet by three feet.  I was blown away when I discovered this unique feature.  I visited the same site a few days later and the pattern in the ice was completely different.  Look for that one to be posted soon :-)

No comments: