Friday, March 16, 2012

Lake Superior Aurora - Grand Portage, MN

















Here's what I captured last night.  Throughout the afternoon I was watching the Aurora forecast sites predicting STORM-LEVEL Auroras only to watch the index fall just as darkness was approaching in Northern Minnesota.  Even though the activity level was no longer classified as "STORM" by the time it got dark here, it was still classified as "ACTIVE", so I decided to head out and watch the sky for a while.  It was a good thing I did, as I saw plenty of activity in the first hour that I was looking.  At first all I could see were several faint pillars of light dancing from East to West across the sky.  Soon those pillars were joined by a glowing green "cloud" of light.  Above the lights the sky was saturated with stars.  Lake Superior was so calm the only sound coming from the shoreline below my clifftop vantage point was the barely audible, soft lapping sound of the water as it kissed the rocks along the beach.  It was a sublime night for sure!

No comments: