Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Northern Lights on August 19, 2026


 









What a beautiful night last night! The space weather forecast was calling for a slight chance of northern lights, so I decided to head out for a few hours and see if anything would materialize. At first, there was no discernible glow of aurora in the sky, but the stars looked amazing! I found a nice spot by a local stream and set up my camp chair for a while to just sit and take in the view. It was unbelievably calm. Not a lick of wind, not a single mosquito, and absolutely no noise coming from anywhere in the surrounding forest. It was so calm and quiet it was almost spooky. 

After a while I drove to the location seen in this photo, overlooking a small lake with a nice pine tree in the foreground. It was 2:00 AM when I made the photo. The aurora was visible to the naked eye, but was very faint. The high sensitivity of the camera sensor and the exposure length of 15 seconds made for a very nice image. Things have been pretty hectic and busy lately so it was nice to get out and spend some quiet time with the water, forest, and sky. 

No comments: