Monday, July 3, 2023

The Henry Mountains


 









I think I may have found my new favorite place in Utah... the Henry Mountains. I spent 3 incredible days exploring the mountains on my recent trip to the southwest. Over the course of those 3 days I only saw 4 other vehicles, 3 of which were traveling together.  The rest of the time I was by myself, and it was glorious. I was blown away by the beauty of this small collection of mountains.  There is a very nice network of dirt roads that provides for lots of exploration opportunities and I only scratched the surface of what's there. 

The most interesting bit of trivia that I've heard about the Henry's is that they were the last mountain range in the lower 48 to be surveyed. Also interesting is the fact that the mountains are home to about 350 bison.  The Henry Mountains bison herd is one of only 3 free-roaming and genetically purebred bison herds on public lands in the U.S.  I never saw any of the bison during my visit, however. What I did see was some pretty incredibly scenery and nights with skies absolutely packed full of stars. Like a lot of places out west, I can't wait to go back and explore some more!





















No comments: