Monday, March 1, 2021

Surprise Aurora!


 









Well, last night we had quite a nice surprise showing of the Aurora Borealis!  I totally was not expecting anything to happen last night.  We were all settled in for the night and on a whim I pulled out my phone to take a look at the Aurora Soft Serve News website. When the page loaded I was surprised to see the Kp index was at 6.33, which is storm level!  We shut off all the lights and took a look out one of the windows over the back yard. Sure enough, there was a green glow over Mt. Josephine!

It didn't take us long to decide to head out and watch the lights for a bit in the hopes that they would flare up into some pillars and dancing lights.  The lights never did pick up any more than a soft glow, but with the moonlight and the fast-moving clouds the resulting scene was nonetheless spectacular. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is just the beginning of what will hopefully be a good year for the northern lights!

No comments: