Wednesday, January 1, 2020

First Night Sky of 2020!


















2020 is off to a great start for the night sky!  Cold temperatures last night made for some awesome star viewing.  The temp was about minus 5 degrees Fahrenheit and thankfully it was a nice calm night with only the occasional slight breeze.  

I made this photo along Old Highway 61 in Grand Portage, MN. There is so much going on in the sky here... I couldn't believe it when I saw how this photo came out.  Orion can be seen very clearly just above the tree line a little to the left of center.  Normally the constellations don't show up this well on such a wide angle shot (in this case, 14mm on a full-frame camera).  Last night, however, the air quality was just right to make the brighter stars really pop out from the rest of the sky.  

If you've never gone out on a cold winter's night to gaze at the stars, I urge you to do so.  Stargazing is one of my favorite things to do.  I've loved it ever since I was a kid.  Thankfully I live where the views of the stars are almost completely unaffected by artificial light.  Once again I am reminded of my all time favorite quote:

"For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream." -Vincent van Gogh


No comments: