Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Contemplating the Cosmos


















Standing alone is better than standing with people who don't value you.  

I was trying to think of a sentiment to go along with this photo, and one came to me as soon as I opened my Instagram feed this morning.  The thought was too good... I just had to share it. 

This photo was made in Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument in southern Utah, not far from Lake Powell.  I had spent most of the night staring in awe at this arch with the night sky hovering above, watching as little puffs of clouds passed silently overhead.  It was so calm and quiet there wasn't even the slightest sound to break the silence of the night.  

Growing up in the land of water here in northern Minnesota, completely silent nights are very hard to come by.  Water is always moving, and with that movement there is sound.  In stark contrast to that, I have experienced several nights in the desert where the silence is deafening.  And I love it.  

No comments: