Sunday, March 3, 2019

Winter Sunset over Wauswaugoning Bay and the Susie Islands


















This is probably my MOST favorite view in the whole wide world (and I have a lot of favorites, so that's saying something!).  The summit of Mt. Josephine in Grand Portage, MN.  Lately it's been my getaway, my escape if you will.  In the past 3 weeks I've snowshoed up to this spot 8 times.  I try to do it at least twice a week.  It's about 3 miles round trip with around 700 to 800 feet of elevation gain.  

Every time I go I see something different.  For the most part the most interesting thing to observe (up until this last time I went) are the ever-changing ice conditions.  This last time, however, I saw something extraordinarily cool.  If you look closely to the right of the taller tree in the lower left corner of the photo, you can see some dark dots on the ice.  That's a wolf pack!  The first time in 43 years of living on the north shore that I've seen an entire pack of wolves at once!  It was such a cool experience.  I got to hear them howling and watched them play and frolic on the ice before bedding down for a nap.  I was able to watch them for almost 30 minutes before it got too dark to see them, then I had to head back home.  


































































No comments: