Saturday, November 24, 2012

November sunset over the Pacific

















Here's another shot from our recent trip out west.  This one was taken on a very windy evening along the beach at Winchester Bay.  We came across this large driftwood log that had all this wind-blown sand around it.  When I saw the lines in the sand I knew I had to photograph the scene.  Just as the sun was setting the clouds opened up right where the sun was, making that hole in the clouds incredibly bright.  I used a 3-stop reverse-graduated neutral density filter to help balance the exposure between the bright sky and the dark foreground.  Further editing in Lightroom 4 (using the graduated filter tool) allowed me to bring more detail out of the scene and balance the exposure even more.  The in-camera exposure was much darker than the scene looked to our eyes.  What you see here is the scene as I remember it.  I hope you like it!

No comments: