Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Fox Family



I spent most of today photographing a family of fox in the Minnesota Northwoods.  The day started with the alarm waking me at 4:30 AM.  I was facing a two-hour drive in order to get to the fox den for the early morning light.  After a quick breakfast I was on the road and by 7:00 AM I was at the fox den.  When I arrived the mother was curled up on the ground near the den.  Just a few minutes after my arrival she went into the den and came back out with the kits following behind her.  For the next 45 minutes they played and wrestled with each other, then mom gave them a quick feeding before putting them back in the den and trotting off for her morning hunt.  I sat and waited for her return, thinking she might be gone an hour or two.  It was just over 5 hours later when she finally returned and once again brought the kits out to play and exercise, this time in the afternoon sun.  I sure had a lot of fun today watching these critters.  I've never seen fox so young before... they sure are cute!






































No comments: