Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Bison Country

Here is a shot from Custer State Park in the Black Hills of South Dakota.  After spending almost 3 days in Nebraska photographing the Sandhill Crane migration in unusually hot temperatures for spring (each day the temp almost hit 90 degrees!), it was nice to drive up to the Black Hills and have the weather change along the way.  On this day the temp never got above 45 and in the higher elevations of the hills it was about 36 degrees and sleet was falling from the sky.

















This photo was taken along the "Wildlife Loop Road" in Custer State Park. This state park is a great one for wildlife.  I saw lots of other critters as well, but the Bison stole the show.  I saw probably close to 200 Bison.  While I enjoy a good close-up shot of an animal, I also like to compose shots that show them and their surrounding environment.  I think (in most cases) that photos such as this tell more of a story than a close-up does.  At any rate, I hope you like it!

No comments: