Saturday, February 18, 2012

Aurora Watching - Northern Lights on February 18, 2012


After 3 very long months of not seeing any Auroras in Northern Minnesota (my last few opportunities were blocked by heavy cloud cover), the lights made a surprise appearance on the evening of February 18th. My girlfriend and I were just settling in to watch a movie when I decided to take a quick look online to check the auroral oval. To my surprise, the Kp index was measuring just over 4, which often means that we might see some good lights here. A quick look out the back door of my house revealed that yes indeed, the lights were out! We jumped in the truck and drove a few miles inland from Lake Superior to some better spots for viewing the lights. For the next hour and a half we were treated to a very nice display of green glow peppered with dancing curtains of green, purple and red. It was a spectacular night of Aurora viewing!













No comments: