Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Passing Time on Mt. Maude



This is my favorite picture from last weekend's night shooting sessions. It takes a bit of planning and preparation to pull off a shot like this but when you take your time and set things up right, the results are worth it. After about 20 "test" shots to dial in the composition I was ready to start the long exposure. This was a 96 minute exposure that I started at exactly 10:00 PM on September 3rd. The lens aperture was set at f4, and the camera's ISO was set at 100. Careful placement of the North star makes (I believe) for a very compelling composition. Taken with a Canon 5D Mark II camera and Canon EF 17-40mm lens.

2 comments:

kenev said...

Hey Travis -- great shot. I was wondering if when you go to 'bulb' for a long exposure, if you ever get aircraft flying through the field of view, causing you to have to go in later with Photoshop to 'erase' the trail of aircraft lights? Additionally, I was wondering if you have ever experimented with any of the 'stacker' procedures to get star trails; i.e., multiple shots integrated into one.

Travis Novitsky said...

Hi Ken,

Yeah, sometimes I do get "light trails" from passing aircraft. I just use the clone tool to get rid of the light trail. I have never used the stacking method of doing a star trail image.

-Travis