Saturday, January 29, 2011

Night Storm, Grand Marais Harbor



This image was made on my way home to Grand Portage, MN after spending the day in Duluth, MN. The drive back up the shore that night was magical. The clouds were really something, with the moonlight popping through breaks in the clouds every now and then. As I approached Grand Marais I could see that the clouds were going to be very interesting over the harbor, so I pulled in to the campground road and went down along the lake and found these nice ice cakes floating in the corner of the bay. The most amazing thing, however, was that big, dark, almost black cloud bank moving in off the lake. I spent about half an hour in this spot making images with various compositions and exposure settings, this one is my favorite of the bunch. Captured with my Canon 5D Mark II and EF 17-40mm lens, exposure length was 10 seconds, aperture f8, ISO 800. And yes, it was cold! The air temp wasn't too bad at 18 degrees, but the wind made it feel much, much colder. There was a fairly strong wind pushing that big cloud bank in from the lake, so the wind chill was probably below zero.

No comments: