Saturday, May 24, 2014

Eagle Action



Wow, I sure had fun watching the eagles yesterday at Grand Portage State Park!  While standing on the viewing platform that overlooks the Pigeon River behind the visitor center, I noticed an eagle flying low and fast over the river.  At first all I could see was the eagle but soon I realized he was being chased by a raven.  Then, a gull joined in the chase.  I don't know what this eagle did to aggravate these other birds but they sure were persistent in chasing him off.  They flew several circles over the river at various altitudes then the eagle veered off away from the river and the raven and gull gave up the chase.  Then, I noticed that the eagle had been joined by a second eagle and they were both flying in circles directly over the visitor center.  They were flying incredibly close together and soon were chasing each other around.  Every now and then one of them would flip upside down and bare their talons towards the other eagle.  It was a fascinating display to observe but very difficult to capture good images because the birds were moving so quickly.  I got a few that I think are kind of neat and thought it would be fun to share them.
































No comments: