Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Mindfulness and the Milky Way


















You may have noticed over the past year that I haven't been posting as many images as I usually do, especially images photographed at night.  This isn't because I haven't been out there enjoying the world and the night, it's simply that I've been trying to change the way that I do things. 

I've been practicing mindfulness and being in the moment as much as I can and it's had a profound effect on my life.  I used to busy myself with capturing as many images as possible and thinking about when/how I was going to share them with the world.  But lately I've been doing less of that and instead trying to fully immerse myself in each moment and experience.  

Much of the time when doing this I never even take my camera out of the bag.  Sometimes, when I do make images, I don't share them for a month or more.  An example of that is the "Tranquility" photo I posted earlier today. I made that photo at the end of June and instead of sharing it right away I waited until it felt right to share it.  

In the practice of being mindful I've noticed that I feel much calmer than I used to.  My mind doesn't race the way it used to.  I feel rested and peaceful more often than not.  My actions with the camera are much more deliberate and thought out than they used to be.  And I feel like that shows in my images.  This photo, taken a few nights ago, is a good representation of that mindfulness.  It is one of only six images that I made that night. I feel like it really conveys the sense of calm and peacefulness that comes with truly being in that moment, right then and there.  

It also reminds me of a favorite saying (and title of a book about mindfulness): 

"Wherever you go, there you are."


No comments: