Monday, October 3, 2022

Pigeon River Kingfisher


 









Kingfishers have, for me at least, been very difficult to photograph.  I've heard them plenty of times when I'm out paddling or while hiking near a river or lakeshore. But, they rarely come close enough or stay still long enough to make a decent photo. This summer, however, they have been slowly revealing themselves to me. 

On a few occasions I've been able to observe and photograph them as I slowly drift down the local rivers. The most recent encounter was this past Friday, as I was floating down the Pigeon River. I came around a bend in the river and there, perched perfectly on this tree arcing out over the water, was a kingfisher surveying his hunting waters below. As I drifted closer and closer, I couldn't believe how close he was allowing me to get.  Eventually, he dropped down from his perch and flew past me, headed upriver. 



No comments: