Saturday, July 23, 2022

Ontario Aurora


 









With the promise of a good aurora forecast last night, I decided to head up into Canada to photograph the possible lights from one of my newly scouted locations. I first came across this landscape of pine trees about two and a half years ago.  Thanks to Covid, I was unable to cross the border for the last two years, which prevented me from doing any night sky photography at this location until now. While the lights didn't develop into the possible G3 storm that was forecast, there were some beautiful colors and subtle movements to the display. The mosquitoes were also quite possibly the worst I've ever experienced. 

Since the movement in the lights was subtle and the bugs were so bad, I decided to try a 25 minute timelapse. Once I had the timelapse recording, I retreated to the relative protection of the inside of my Jeep. Quite a few mosquitoes made it inside the vehicle but it was much better than the situation outside. After 25 minutes had passed, I got out to stop the recording. As soon as I got out of the Jeep, I heard several small animals scurrying away through the brush behind me.  I grabbed my spotlight just in time to see 3 very small bear cubs scramble up the trunk of a nearby pine tree.  I did not see any sign of mom, which made me quite nervous. I packed up my gear and drove a few miles away to another location. By the time I arrived at the second location, the lights were fading fast and dawn was quickly approaching, so I decided to call it a night and head for home. 

No comments: